- Off To Switzerland! This week blues musicians will begin to gather in the beautiful town of Lucerne Switzerland for the pre-events of next week’s Lucerne Blues Festival! These include a Blues Night this Friday in Visp, Switzerland and various pre-parties, dinners, speeches, and concerts. The Lucerne Blues Festival is lovingly run by a huge staff headed by Guido Schmidt, and Martin Bründler with sponsorship support from many of the local and Swiss national businesses. This year’s amazing festival lineup consists of Otis Clay, Ruthie Foster, Colin Linden, Joe Louis Walker, Quintus McCormick, Deitra Farr, Tail Dragger & Henry Gray with Bob Corritore’s Rhythm Room All-Stars (with Chris James, Patrick Rynn, Kirk Fletcher, Brian Fahey), The Delta Groove Harp Blast, (with Mitch Kashmar, Big Pete, Randy Chortkoff & Bob Corritore), Larry McCray Band, Mike Anderson, Andy Egert Blues Band, Howlin’ Bill, Shawn Pittman & The Blues Stars, Richard Koechli, Terrance Simien & The Zydeco Experience, and more! To see the Lucerne Blues Festival website with schedules, artist bios, ticket info and more, click http://www.bluesfestival.ch/v2/index.php/de/. The Tail Dragger/Henry Gray/Bob Corritore/Rhythm Room All-Stars package will also appear on November 4, at La Poste in Visp, Switzerland (click here http://www.lapostevisp.ch/?id=14&mod_action=get_event_detail&event_key=10007400992558000&language=en for more information).
- Mud Morganfield signs with Severn Records for Spring CD release! Mud Morganfield, the eldest son of Muddy Waters, has just signed with Severn Records. Label chief David Earl reports that the CD will be titled Son of the Seventh Son and will be released in the spring of 2012 (official release date forthcoming). The record was recorded earlier this year at Rax Trax Studios in Chicago and was produced by Bob Corritore, The CD features a band of A-list Chicago sidemen hand picked by Mud and Bob: Billy Flynn, Rick Kreher, Kenny “Beedy Eyes” Smith, Barrelhouse Chuck, E.G. McDaniel, and Harmonica Hinds and Bob Corritore alternating on harmonica chores! But the CD revolves around the special vocals of the man who effortlessly can summon up the sound and spirit of his father. Mud Morganfield is already an often requested festival attraction in Europe and South America and this CD will surely open more doors for Mud. David also reports of a new Severn release just out by Sugar Ray and the Blue Tones and upcoming Severn releases by the Nighthawks and Lou Pride! Congratulations to Mud Morganfield and to Severn Records!
- Blues Blast Music Award Winners! Congratulations to Bob Kieser of Blues Blast Magazine for orchestrating the amazing Blues Blast Music Awards last Thursday at Buddy Guy’s Legends in Chicago. The show was flawlessly executed, and was filled with numerous memorable performances and acceptance speeches. It is a very special thing when the blues world comes together to reflect on, and celebrate its accomplishments. Here are the award recipients:
Lifetime Achievement Award (announced prior to the event): Michael Frank
Contemporary Blues CD: Buddy Guy / Living Proof
Song Of The Year: “Living Proof” written by Tom Hambridge & Buddy Guy
Female Blues Artist: Robin Rogers
Blues Band Of The Year: Trampled Under Foot
Traditional Blues CD: Pinetop Perkins & Willie “Big Eyes” Smith / Joined At The Hip
New Artist Debut Release: Chris O’Leary Band / Mr. Used To Be
Male Blues Artist: Buddy Guy
Sean Costello Rising Star Award: Trampled Under Foot
- New poster for the JW Desert Ridge Blues Festival! The JW Desert Ridge Blues Festival happens Saturday and Sunday, November 19 and 20, 2011 at Sage Court at JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort, 5350 E. Marriott Drive, Phoenix, AZ 85054. Saturday’s acts include The Tedechi / Trucks Band, Big Head Todd & The Monsters, and the Dave Riley / Bob Corritore Juke Joint Blues Band. Sunday’s acts include Johnny Lang, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Cowboy Mouth, North Mississippi All-Stars Duo, and Jeff Golub & Henry Butler. A new poster has just been circulated for this event which you can see by clicking here.
- Hipo-Select releases coimplete Howlin Wolf collection! The Hipo-Select label has just issued a limited edition, 4 CD collection by the great Howlin Wolf titled Smokestack Lightnin’; The Complete Chess Masters (1951 to 1960). Howlin Wolf was among the greatest blues singers who ever lived! His classics include, “Sittin On Top Of The World”, “Smokestack Lighnin”, “I Aint Superstitious”, “Killing Floor”, and many others. To find out more about this amazing release, and see a complete track listing. click http://www.bluebeatmusic.com/product_info.php?products_id=19202. To see a photo page devoted to Howlin Wolf, click http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos136.html
- Screamin Jay Hawkins on YouTube! On this Halloween we feel inclined to share this classic clip of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins creepy classic, “I Put A Spell On You.” Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc to see