- Unreleased Magic Sam CD forthcoming! This exciting news from Kevin Johnson of Delmark Records: “Its Official now! Delmark will be releasing a previously unissued live recording from the one and only MAGIC SAM!!!! June 22, 1968 full show at the famous Avant Garde Coffehouse in Milwaukee!”
- Eddie C. Cambpell recovery news! Eddie C. Campbell suffered a debilitating stroke early this year while touring Europe. Here is some good news about Eddie C. from our friend Dick Shurman:”Barbara and I moved Eddie C. Campbell back into his own apartment tonight, almost seven months since his Jan. 21 stroke. He still may have a short stay elsewhere ahead, and he still needs constant vigil (which Barbara plans to provide), but it’s a great step for him. I continue to note (happily) positive changes every time I see him; here’s hoping that continues. The plan is for him to sing a couple songs at the Delmark show at SPACE this coming Friday.” Prayers for Eddie C. Campbell to have a swift and full recovery.
- Sugaray Rayford moves to Phoenix! Sugar and Rhythm Room All-Stars to pair up for forthcoming Rhythm Room dates! Texas born, San Diego based Sugaray Rayford has become a recent blues sensation as a featured vocalist with the Mannish Boys. He was a crucial part of the BMA winning Mannish Boys CD Double Dynamite and has his own CD called Dangerous out next month on the Delta Groove record label (click here for more info on this release). Sugaray now has a residence in the Phoenix suburb of Maricopa, Arizona and will be pairing up the Rhythm Room All-Stars for a number of forthcoming shows with the next being Friday and Saturday August 30 and 31! Sugaray was also highlighted in the article on Phoenix’s jazz and blues scene in the September issue of Phoenix Magazine! Please note that his work with the Rhythm Room All-Stars is a side project for Sugar while not touring with the Mannish Boys.
- Blues Music Magazine debuts first issue and online radio! Thanks to “zine” chief Jack Sullivan who has announced the launch of the new blues music magazine called, ironically, “Blues Music Magazine.” The 1st issue of this magazine is being mailed as we speak and is a sterling fully realized publication from inception! Jack sent over a press release that includes info about the mag, the new online radio, and some links to an online version of the first magazine that is free for you to see. You can see this press release by clicking here.
- Blues Blast Music Award Voting underway but closes on Aug 31! Kid Ramos / Bob Corritore Phoenix Blues Sessions nominated! Blues Blast Magazine has recently announced the nominees for the 2013 Blues Blast Music Awards and voting is underway! We were pleased to find out that among the nominations for “Traditional Blues Album” was The Kid Ramos / Bob Corritore Phoenix Blues Sessions! This CD, by the way, was created to help West Coast guitar ace Kid Ramos through his cancer struggles and can be purchased here. Bob’s close associate Mud Morganfield (the eldest son of Muddy Waters who has had a very nice run of recognition) is up for “Male Blues Artist” and Bob and Mud also participated on two tracks together on The Mannish Boys / Double Dynamite CD which, along side the Kid / Bob CD, is also up for “Traditional Blues Album.” Voting is open to the public until the closing date of August 31st and you can make your choices at www.thebluesblast.com and then hit the Vote Now prompt. Winners will be announced on October 31st at a ceremony at Buddy Guy’s Legends in Chicago and the awards party is always a fun, star-studded event filled with great performances. Thank you Blues Blast Magazine!
- Sin City Soul & Blues Revival announces a 4th stage! The Sin City Soul & Blues Revival takes place in Las Vegas on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, September 15, 16 and 17, and boasts a simply amazing lineup of both contemporary and traditional blues acts. The festival recently announced the following:”The Delta Music Experience Musician’s Lounge & Stage, where festival artists will be featured in unique combinations, and where guests will enjoy an informal atmosphere in which to meet and greet friends and musicians, purchase artist merchandise and learn more about the 24,000 sq. ft. National Blues Museum being built in St. Louis. The Revival is excited to be collaborating with Amanda Gresham’s Delta Music Experience and Hammerman Philanthropic Partners on this 4th Stage.”
For more information, the full festival lineup, and ticketing information for the Sin City Soul & Blues Revival visit the festival website here.
- Dave Riley / Bob Corritore / Hush Your Fuss to be released Sept 17! The 3rd collaborative CD of Dave Riley & Bob Corritore is called Hush Your Fuss! and will be released on September 17th. Dave and Bob started making music together in 2005 (8 years) and have performed at major blues festivals and venues throughout the world. The CD was produced by Bob Corritore and recorded by Clarke Rigsby and is to be released on the Southwest Music Arts label in tandem with the VizzTone Label Group. Hush Your Fuss! presents a program of downhome juke joint blues with a contemporary edge and mostly original songs! To see beautiful CD cover designed by Tony Amato with a great image by photographer Dave Blake. Click here to see.
- Robert Lockwood on YouTube! Please enjoy this amazing show of dexterity by a true guitar master as Robert Lockwood plays his “Lockwood’s Boogie” on 12 string guitar. Robert would exercise and practice guitar everyday and lived into his 90s. The physical feat of this song shows the fruits of those efforts. Click here to see the clip.